Maths at primary school
As you might expect, mathematics is a very important subject at primary school. It is usually taught in specific lessons, but children practise and use their maths throughout the school day. This advice will help you to make sense of the different terminology used and understand how maths is taught.
Statutory requirements for teaching maths
Most schools have to follow an agreed curriculum in the teaching of maths. Follow these links to find out more:
- England: The National Curriculum 2014.
- Wales: The Curriculum in Wales.
- Scotland: Curriculum for Excellence.
- Northern Ireland: Northern Ireland Curriculum.
How maths is taught at school
Education expert Kate Robinson delves into topics such as long division, fractions as percentages and column subtraction in a collection of videos and handy booklets, packed with hints and tips.
Maths in School booklets
- Times Tables
- Fractions and Fraction calculations