Roald Dahl – fun activitiesFrobscottle, delumptious, Oompa-Loompa – you might recognise these words from many a bedtime reading of Roald Dahl, but did you know that they’re all examples of gobblefunk? That’s the name Roald Dahl gave to the words he invented and used in his phizz-whizzing stories.
Gobblefunk is not only a great way of exploring Roald Dahl’s stories with your child (try asking them what Matilda’s ringbelling dream might be), but it’s also a great way to have fun with language and support literacy at home.
To help you explore Dahl’s gobblefunk, the creators of the new Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary have shared a range of fun word-based activities with us, as well as a quiz to test your knowledge of Dahl words .
Happy gobblefunking, human beans!
- Quiz – Test your Gobblefunk! How well do you know the words of Roald Dahl?
- Word game activity sheets
- Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
- Related links
Test your Gobblefunk! How well do you know the words of Roald Dahl?
Word game activity sheets
Put these jumbly words into the correct order.
Spot the suffix in scrumdiddlyumptious and other Dahl words.
Can you write a limerick like Matilda?
Avoid a catasterous disastrophe and untangle these spoonerisms.
Find out what squackling is synonymous with.
Odd Word Out
Test your knowledge of Roald Dahl’s books.
Can you come up with some definitions for these mystery words?
Back-to-front word puzzle
Solve the puzzle and find the mystery name.
Answers to all the Dahl word game activity sheets.
Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary
From aardvark to zozimus, a dictionary of real and invented words used by the world's best storyteller.
With real citations from Roald Dahl's children's books and illustrations by Quentin Blake, this dictionary is engaging, accessible, and will inspire and encourage young writers and readers.
Buy on Amazon >
Our favourite Roald Dahl books
George's Marvellous Medicine
Fantastic Mr Fox
Get more great ideas on supporting your child’s literacy at home with Oxford Owl:
- Funny stories for 6-12s – has your child read every Dahl book in the library? Get ideas for new books for them to read with our list of funny books.
- Video: Julia Donaldson’s top reading tips – watch another much-loved author share her top tips for sharing stories with your child.
- Video: How to help older children keep reading – Dahl is great for encouraging independent reading, but for more great ideas on keeping older children reading watch our parent advice video.