Help and Feedback page
If you cannot resolve your query, please contact us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Joining Oxford Owl
Q: How do I join Oxford Owl?
A: Simply click the Join us button in the top right corner of the screen, fill out your details and click the confirm link in the email you receive. In a few countries, we are unable to provide instant access to the Oxford Owl eBooks. In these countries, we ask users to fill out additional registration details and access is granted on a case-by-case basis.
Q: I haven’t received my confirmation email. How can I complete registration?
A: If the confirmation email has not arrived, this could be for the following reasons:
- The email may be in your "Junk", "Spam" or "Trash" email folders. Please check these folders and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of allowed email addresses so that future emails from us are not blocked. If you still can't find our email, your Internet Service Provider may be blocking it before it reaches your inbox. If this is happening, please email support.
- Your email address could have been incorrect when you registered. The simplest way to check this is to attempt to register again. Your email will be checked after completing the first page.
Q: When I try to register my account it says my email address is already on the system. What can I do?
A: This message means that you or someone else who knows your email address has already registered. Click on the Password help link and submit your email address to send a temporary password to your email address. Then you'll be able to log in with your email address, choose a new password and access Oxford Owl.
Q: What are the terms and conditions of Oxford Owl?
A: To read the terms and conditions of Oxford Owl click here.
Logging in to Oxford Owl
Q: I have forgotten my password. What should I do?
A: Click on the Password help link in the login box, enter your email address and we will send you a new password. You will be able to change your password to a more memorable one when you log in.
Q: I asked for my password to be reset but haven't received an email telling me my new temporary password.
A: When you reset your password, your new temporary password will be emailed to you within minutes. If it fails to arrive, this could be for the following reasons:
- A "spam filter" could be blocking our Password Reset email. Please check for the email in your "Junk", "Spam" or "Trash" email folders and add email@example.com to your list of allowed email addresses so that future emails from us are not blocked. If you still can't find our email, your ISP may be blocking it before it reaches your inbox. If this is happening, please email support.
- When you reset the password, did you enter your correct email address – i.e. the same email address you gave us when you registered? If your email address has changed since you registered and you no longer have access to your old email's inbox, you won't receive our Password Reset email. If this is the case, please email support telling us your old email address.
Q: When I try to log in to Oxford Owl for school, it directs me to Oxford Owl for home. What can I do?
A: If you are redirected to Oxford Owl for home when you log in, this means that you originally registered as a parent. You will need to register again, with a different email, and select ‘teacher’ when you register. This will allow you to access the Oxford Owl for school site.
Q: I have received an error message saying my email address hasn't been confirmed. What can I do?
A: New joiners are asked to enter a valid email address that is 'owned' by them. Before you can access the site you need to confirm your registration by clicking on a link in an email we have sent to you. This email will normally arrive within a few minutes of your registration. See I haven’t received my confirmation email. How can I complete registration? for information on what to do if you haven't received this email or wish to resend it.
Q: My email address and password do not work. What can I do?
A: If you can’t log in, this could be for the following reasons:
- You are already logged in on more than five different browsers or devices. The system will only allow you to be logged in on five different devices, so you will need to log out of another browser or device before opening another.
- If you closed a browser before logging out, you will need to wait 15 minutes to log in again. Alternatively you may reopen the closed browser and log out immediately.
- It is possible that the details you entered were incorrect. The best way to resolve this is by resetting your password. Please see the I have forgotten my password. What should I do? question for instructions on how to do this.
Q: How many times can I log in to Oxford Owl at the same time using the same login details?
A: It is now possible for you to log in to five different devices or browsers at the same time. If you can't, please email support.
Q: I received a password reset email when I didn't ask for one.
A: Someone else who knows your email address may have registered for Oxford Owl using your email address without telling you. You can either ignore it or ask us to delete the account by emailing support. Please be reassured – even though a third party can register with your email, they won't actually be able to log on without confirming their access by clicking on the link in the email that only you can see.
Q: How do I delete my account completely?
A: If you want us to delete your account completely, please email support.
Q: I can log on, but it says my access hasn't yet been approved by OUP. What can I do?
A: OUP sometimes needs time to check each user's requests for access – e.g. to confirm that you are an existing OUP customer.
This process can sometimes take several days, so please be patient. You will always be notified by email when your access has either been approved or denied. If you need a decision urgently, please email support.
Q: What versions of browsers are supported for use with Oxford Owl?
A: Please visit our browser support page for more information.
Q: How do I find out which version of the browser I’m using?
A: If you are using Oxford Owl at school, your IT technician should be able to tell you what browser versions are installed on your school network. If you want to check which browser you are using yourself, you can find out by following the instructions below:
- In Internet Explorer, go to the Settings menu and click on About Internet Explorer. A pop-up window will open that will tell you which version of Internet Explorer you have installed.
- In Mozilla Firefox, go to the Help menu and click on About Firefox. A pop-up window will open that will tell you which version of Firefox you have installed.
- In Google Chrome™, go to the Customise menu and click on About Google Chrome. You will be taken to an About page that will tell you which version of Chrome you have installed.
- In Safari, go to the Safari menu, and click on About Safari. A pop-up window will open that will tell you which version of Safari you have installed.
Q: I’ve just gone to Oxford Owl and there is a message that says I’m using an unsupported browser. What should I do?
A: If you have another browser supported for use with Oxford Owl installed on your machine, we suggest you switch browsers as the quickest solution. See What versions of browsers are supported for use with Oxford Owl?, above, for a list of supported browsers. If that isn’t possible and you are using Oxford Owl at school, please contact your school’s IT technician, who should be able to advise on whether it’s possible to update your browser or install a different supported one on your machine.
If you are using your home computer and want to update your browser, see I am using my home computer. Where can I get a new browser? below.
You can continue to use Oxford Owl in an unsupported browser, but please be aware that a large part of the content will not work (particularly interactive content, audio and video) and that much of the functionality may be slow or perform in unusual ways.
Q: There is a message that says I’m using Oxford Owl in an unsupported browser across the top of every page. How do I get rid of it?
A: We want you to have the best possible experience using Oxford Owl and, if you’re using it in an unsupported browser, you will find that some of the content and functionality doesn’t work as it should. To get rid of the message, please either update your browser to a supported version or use another supported browser.
Q: I am using my home computer. Where can I get a new browser?
A: You can download our supported browsers at the following locations:
Google Chrome™ browser:
Internet Explorer browser:
Mozilla Firefox browser:
For help updating your browser, go to:
Important: If you are using a school machine, you should not install a new browser or update to a new version of the browser on your machine without checking with your IT technician first.
Q: I am using a supported browser and something doesn’t work. What do I do now?
A: Please tell us about it! We’ve done extensive testing in all our supported browsers, but we want to know if there’s anything we’ve missed so we can resolve any problems you may be having in using Oxford Owl.
Q: What tablets are supported for use with Oxford Owl?
A: Oxford Owl is supported for use with:
- iPad and iPad mini using iOS 6 or above.
Smartphones (e.g. iPhone, Galaxy S3) are not supported.
Q: What is the minimum screen resolution supported for use with Oxford Owl?
A: The screen resolution of the iPad and iPad mini (1024 x 768 pixels) is supported for use with Oxford Owl.
Q: Are iPhones supported for use with Oxford Owl?
A: Unfortunately, iPhones are not supported for use with Oxford Owl. While it is possible to browse the Oxford Owl site using an iPhone, the majority of the content available on the site has not been optimized for the iPhone screen size.
Q: Why can’t I access all stories in a book?
A: Some of our eBooks are collections of multiple stories. You will be able to access at least one complete story within a collection.
Q: Why have some of the eBooks been replaced or removed from the library?
A: As part of the update to Oxford Owl, we took the opportunity to update some of the books in the eBook library so that our users could see some of the newer books we have on offer. Unfortunately, this meant that we had to replace some of the books in the collection.
Q: The eBook I am using doesn’t seem to have audio, is there something wrong?
A: There are a few books which have been included in the eBook library without audio. Alien Adventures Companion Book 1 and Companion Book 2 don’t have an audio track. At present, it isn’t possible for us to remove the audio controls on these individual books.
If you are having problems playing the audio on other eBooks please check:
- whether the audio is turned down on your computer or tablet
- if you are using Firefox on a laptop or computer, whether you have an up-to-date version of Adobe Flash Player installed on your machine (Firefox uses a Flash plug-in to play audio).
Q: Why does the eBook screen load but not the eBook?
A: Please check your cookie settings because Oxford Owl requires cookies to be enabled to use the eBook library. If you are unsure how to set the cookie setting on your school network or computer, please contact your IT technician. If you are using your own computer, the guides below can help you to enable cookies:
Internet Explorer - Help
Google Chrome - Help
Mozilla Firefox - Help
Safari - Help
iPad - To set your iPad to allow cookies please click on Setting > Safari > Privacy > Accept cookies
Please visit our browser support page for more information.
Third Party Software and Plug-ins
Adobe Acrobat Reader software
Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel version 97-2003 or later
Adobe Flash player
1024 x 768 minimum
Chrome is a trademark of Google Inc.
Internet Explorer is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Mozilla and Firefox are registered trademarks of the Mozilla Foundation.
Safari is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.