About Nelson Handwriting
Q: What is Nelson Handwriting?
A: Nelson Handwriting is a whole-school programme designed to help all children develop a confident, legible and personal handwriting style and meet higher curriculum expectations. Part of Nelson English Skills, the programme includes resources for pattern practice and motor skills work as well as fun activities to bring handwriting to life.
Q: How do I get started with my subscription?
A: Join us for a free webinar to help get you started with your Nelson Handwriting subscription.
The webinar will cover accessing and setting up your subscription on Oxford Owl for School, including managing staff access and where you can find further help and support.
If you sign up, you’ll receive a recording of the webinar once it has taken place.Book your place
Q: What’s included in my subscription?
A: Nelson Handwriting is available as a whole-school subscription, a Reception to Year 2 subscription or a Years 3 to 4 subscription. A whole-school subscription contains the following resources:
- Fun warm-up videos to help get children ready for writing.
- Online teaching software screens for every unit from Reception to Y4.
- Letter banks showing the pre-cursive lower-case alphabet, the uppercase alphabet, numbers 0–10, key digraphs and trigraphs, the print alphabet, and the slanted upper and lowercase alphabets.
- Downloadable PDFs of the following from all four Resources and Assessment Books:
- Downloadable PDFs of the following from the Teacher’s Books:
• Focus and Extension resource sheets and assessment sheets.
• Handwriting practice cards.
• Guidelines/practice tramlines.
• An overview of whole-school, class and individual assessment within Nelson Handwriting.
• An overview of specific handwriting difficulties.
• A card to help left-handed pupils get ready to write.
• A guide to how Nelson Handwriting meets the curriculum expectations in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
• An overview of the Oxford Writing Criterion Scale and how it can be used to assess handwriting.
• A downloadable letter to parents, introducing Nelson Handwriting.
• The Scope and Sequence charts for Reception–Y6.
• An introduction to the new edition of Nelson Handwriting.
• A ready reference guide to the Nelson Handwriting font, the letter families, joining groups, joined handwriting style and x-height of the letters and tramlines in each book.
• Techniques for teaching handwriting, including letter formation, the joined style, best practice writing materials, seating and posture, pencil grip and lesson structure.
• Tips for supporting left-handed pupils.
• A guide showing how Nelson Handwriting links the teaching of letter formation with the phonics and spelling curricula.
• Information to help schools develop a handwriting policy.
Q: Which devices can I use with Nelson Handwriting?
A: Nelson Handwriting is designed for use on an interactive whiteboard for whole-class teaching. The warm-up videos and the teaching units can be displayed and annotated on an interactive whiteboard using the whiteboard pens or the annotation tools provided on-screen.
Nelson Handwriting content is also viewable on iPads, laptops, Macs and PCs. However, because the design and the functionality within Nelson Handwriting work best in landscape mode, we do not recommend using portrait mode on the iPad with your subscription.
Q: How do I buy and install the Nelson Handwriting Font software?
A: The Nelson Handwriting Font software is available as a one-off purchase here. Once you have purchased the software, you will receive a card containing your unique download code. To initiate the download, simply go to the website on the back of the card, enter your download code and follow the instructions to install the software on your school’s computer.
For further support on how to download the Nelson Handwriting Font, please click here.Setting up and managing my subscription